Saturday Special – Thank You Everyone

Hello Everyone.. To the left you see the creature who has been my immediate family for the past several years. Today, March 12, I had to say goodbye to him. That fulfills the final promise I made to him the day that I brought him home. That I would not let him suffer by being selfish.

I don’t think he was in any pain but I do believe he was miserable. He had gotten to the point where he couldn’t really walk on his own anymore and watching him try absolutely broke my heart. As much as I would have loved to hang on to him a little while longer, perhaps into spring (8 fucking inches of snow today, 55* yesterday and all this white crap had melted), it became clear to me that he was miserable.. If I didn’t dump his food between his front paws in front of him, he wouldn’t eat. Couldn’t stand up at his dish long enough to do so. If it weren’t for the snow on the ground, which he would eat, he could barely get any water. He hasn’t been able to run free in the back yard since early November. He hasn’t been able to chase any rabbits or squirrels. Regardless of what you think of putting an animal down, he wasn’t able to do Any of his favorite things except lie there and sleep. He could no longer negotiate stairs without help. I didn’t mind helping him but, It was time. He enjoyed the better part of a porterhouse Monday night, complete with the bone that kept him busy for a couple hours.

This is an informative post and at some point in the near future, I will take it down. I wanted to do it here at the farm so I could have something to share with everyone, in one place. You all welcomed me into this room full of (mostly) women discussing reality shows, and I feel The Hound became sort of a mascot for our group. The Thank You is for all of you who over the last few years have placed orders for pats on the head, kisses (which admittedly he never got because I saw where he licked), and most of all, the cookie orders.. A couple even sent him treats. I would tell him who these things were from but truthfully, I think all that mattered to him, was there was a cookie involved.

So again, a HUGE thank you to all of you who have welcomed me and my furry son into your daily online lives. It really does mean the world to me and I’m certain, him. Know that your love was some how passed on.

RIP My Friend

Thank you..

About MelTheHound

Fuck Cancer
This entry was posted in Mel The Hound's Weekend Special. Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to Saturday Special – Thank You Everyone

1. jillfarrell67 says:

Jeff-I’m so sorry. My heart is hurting for you.
    Hugs to you my Friend.

2. I am so sorry for your loss. You have made the most loving decision a pet owner can make when that time comes.
    I wish you nothing but wonderful memories and healing. Mel would want that for you.

3. Shelley says:

so sorry for your loss..I too had a black Lab, although it was a female, that had similar issues as yours when she got old. I’m sure Mel had a full and spoiled life!

4. BB says:

Farewell, Mel. You will be missed, not only by your human dad, but the many cyber-friends who’ve had the pleasure of getting to know you.

5. Pingback: Dancing With The Stars Preview – Survivor | Lynn's Place

6. Jan (TexasTart) says:

♡♡Heartfelt condolences, my friend♡♡

7. Twifan2 says:

Mel is now free to be the young, fun loving puppy he was.
    He will be missed, but he is by your side-always. ❤

8. Laineylainey says:

So sorry for your loss. It was time. It’s a hard thing to do. May the great memories you made together comfort you.

9. Kansas Girl says:

Never forgotten!

10. StaceySuperfly says:

He was a well loved boy and you did right by him. He is running and playing now without pain. I am so sorry for your loss, xoxo

11. ladebra says:

So very sorry for your loss. There really are no words, but I am sending virtual hugs to you Jeff.

12. ramonacoaster says:

I’m so sorry for your loss. I can see by the photos that he lived a happy life.

13. Belle says:

Jeff, sending you lots of hugs. Please don’t forget the wonderful life you gave Mel. xoxo

14. Rebecca can't understand why people don't appreciate the importance of dragons. says:

Oh Jeff,

I’m so sorry for your loss. You truly loved your friend. I hope he’s up in puppy heaven playing with my Enzo right now..I’m glad you took lots of photos and videos of Mel. RIP Mel. Peace and love, Jeff.

15. cusi77 says:

The most selfless and loving decision, Jeff… Our beloved pet MelvinMcTrick, the best friend of my best friend, had a good life and will be always remembered. A big hug for you Jeff!

16. Oh my heart is breaking for you Jeff. I know you made the right decision, some of us have had to made the same horrible decision. It is so easy to second guess ourselves and feel guilty. You know Mel had the best life he could ever have with you, remember this, you and Mel were made for each other. You have my kindest wishes and hopes while you make it through this part of grieving. You are a special man. (I am, also, Trillian Alice)

17. Pghemtchick says:

So sorry for your loss, Jeff. (((((Jeff))))) You’re son was a blessed pup who had a wonderful loving dad. I’m sure he was greeted crossing the rainbow bridge by many, and I know my bunny, Peanut will let him chase her all he wants. Sending you ehugs.

18. Jeff, thank you for sharing Mel with us for the past few years. He’s already playing with the friends so many of us have said good bye to. Those who remain will be getting extra hugs and treats in his honor.
    Our love to both of you.

19. mariareads says:

Jeff, as a family who loves our dogs I know what this means to you. We have been there 3 times and I know you did the unselfish thing for Mel. I know what you feel in your heart. We will all miss Mel! What a lucky dog he was to have you and what a lucky man you are to have had him.

20. disgrazia4 says:

My heart is broken for you Jeff. I’m so sorry and feel like we all lost one of the best dogs ever to walk the Earth. Please don’t think we would judge your decision. Your love and care for Melvin shone through your words clearly. Melvin trusted you to do right by him. So do we. Your description of his last days sounds just like the way it was when I decided it was time for my Jessie girl. My heart and best thoughts go out to you today and always.♡

21. codystl says:

Thank you for sharing Mel and this story. I know how difficult it can be to make the unselfish decision.

22. zoekayla says:

Jeff, I’m crying as I write…I know the intense bond you forged with that exceptional dog. Most of us have been in your position, sometimes more than once.
    I imagine in his own way he let you know it was time. He also loved you more than anyone or anything until his last breath. There is something deeply special about the relationship between a person and a dog.
    I’m personally grateful you allowed us all to be his virtual friends. I always felt a kinship with his POV:)
    Thank you for taking the time to share this news with us so thoughtfully.

23. Joymama says:

May peace and comfort come to you as you recall the wonderful moments and memories you have of your fur-ever son.

24. California35 says:

So sorry about this 😦

25. I am crying. Mel looked so much like my Raider. I am going to think that since All Dogs Go To Heaven that my Raider is running and playing with Mel and doing all the things they weren’t able to do when we had said “Goodbye” to them. ((((Jeff))))

26. Just Wondering in Jersey says:

I’m sobbing. Making the decision to euthanize is extremely difficult but watching your pet suffer is even more so. I’ve had to make that decision 10 times with my cats and just knowing they will meet up after crossing the rainbow bridge helps. Melvin McTrick was a very luck fella to have found you and also very lucky to have had a porterhouse steak 🙂

If Mel starts chasing my cats we will have words!

(((Jeff))) I hope you will decide to adopt another dog when you are ready. Pets add so much to our lives.

27. Stars99 says:

So glad Mel had you in his life and you had him in yours… What a perfect friendship! His pictures and antics have made so many of us smile so much – What an awesome dog! What a huge loss… Hang in there, my friend… = )

28. LavaLady (Mary) says:

So sorry Mel. He had a wonderful life filled with love. That’s all any animal needs. And an owner who knows when the time is right to make the hardest decision of all.

29. Kaereste says:

I’m very sorry you lost your friend.

30. lillybee says:

So sorry, Jeff. I know he will be waiting at the rainbow bridge.

31. looneylucy says:

I’m so sorry, Jeff, and echo the sentiments above. Mel had a great life with you as his dad. Thanks for sharing him with us. ((hugs))

32. So very sorry for your loss! May you meet again over the Rainbow Bridge…

33. majnon says:

I’m so sorry for your loss. I loved reading the posts about Mel

34. 2Stupid says:

You did the most selfless thing you could do. The quality of life, not the quanity is most important sometimes. He will forever be keeping an eye on you Jeff!

• iceNfire says:

Hi Jeff – I’m echoing 2Stupid “You did the most selfless thing you could do” This is so incredibly sad. Hoping those pleasant dreams when he visits you come soon.

35. vilzvet says:

What a beautiful dog. You definitely did the proper thing; this happened to our family last summer. Tina was 14 and had a nice long life. We were all with her at the end. Still don’t know where to put her ashes! My condolences Jeff.

36. sparklemuffy says:

Jeff, I’m so sad. It’s brave to help your friend so he wouldn’t suffer. (((((Jeff)))))

37. RabbleRouser says:

I am so sorry you lost your friend and companion. I know you loved each other very much and the ‘hound’ was our version of Gigi. It was very brave of you to let him go. (hug)

38. SAC says:

Rest in peace Mel! Jeff, many hugs and prayers go out to you! May you find peace and comfort in the knowledge that Mel is pain free and that he was blessed to have such a loving and caring companion in you!

39. Plymouth Lighthouse says:

Oh Jeff, My deepest sympathy on the loss of your wonderful Mel. I, like you, have vowed to always be unselfish when it comes to the end. I admire your courage and strength. Please consider adopting as soon as possible. I feel it honors Mel’s memory to have such an awesome dog father (you) rescue another in need. (He/she will actually rescue you.) Hugs from someone who cares and totally understands your grief. xoxo Lisa

40. tuzentswurth says:

I am sorry Jeff. I am heartbroken and crying, these are hard losses to accept, I know from experience. I know you will find comfort in the happy life you gave your dear friend and the times you shared, even though days will be very difficult for quite a while. I wish you peace. Goodbye to beautiful Mel, I have enjoyed his picture every time I saw him. xo

41. mm in oc says:

So sorry jeff. I can feel the pain through your words
    Mel was so lucky to have you as his pops/best friend!

42. Boobah says:

Oh, Jeff. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I am hurting with you. I felt as though I knew him just as much as I knew anyone else here. You allowed us to see great pictures when you’d post links. I remember that you said he didn’t like to look into the camera – he’d turn away right when you snapped it. I chuckled when I read this – it was like he was messing with you.
    The pain of loosing a pet is terrible. Thank you for this tribute because he was our like our blog mascot. RIP Mel.

43. Trashy T says:

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. You did right by him but I know the finality of your loss is so difficult. You were so important to each other… No one could ask for more.

44. MelTheHound says:

I don’t really know what to say other than, I’m overwhelmed by your support. Thank you so much and please, dry your tears.. I am fine and he is with Big Mama playing with his buddy Max..

45. kit9 says:

I’m so sorry for your loss. My Dillon suffered painful treatments and pills being shoved down her throat because I wasn’t strong enough to let her go. I’ll never make that mistake again. I know your beautiful baby is happy and running free.

• MelTheHound says:

KIt9, If I thought it would have done any good or he was a few years younger, I might have tried to find out exactly what was wrong with Melvin and tried to treat it. We all eventually have to make that choice as noted repeatedly here. Don’t beat yourself up about your choice..

46. Lisa says:

I’ve been thinking of Jeff and Mel’s journey thriughout the weekend. As I went to Petco to pick up my cantankerous 13 year old Yorkie from his badly needed spring groomimg, I saw a beautiful rescue pup about a year in age. She was mostly white with a black and white face. She had somewhat curly fur. She was beautiful and regal in appearance yet there was a aura of sadness as well. The rescue group member said she thought this girl to be depressed as her puppies ( most likely her first litter) were all adopted out to nice homes, leaving third sweet little mom behind. Jeff, this little girl just lost her babies and you just lost yours. I wish you two could meet. If you’d like, I will call the Petco manager to get the name of the particular rescue who has this sad, but beautiful young mom. IM me. Lisa Smith Mahoney If it’s right, we will make a way for it to happen.

47. Jeff, so very sorry to hear about your faithful companion Mel. Tears are rolling down my face…all your posts about Mel, his pictures, made me feel like he was my friend too.

Hugs to you and Mel, may you meet again on the other side.

48. Anoneemouse says:

Very sorry for your loss. I had to make the same decision in January so I know how much it hurts.

49. shamrockblonde says:

oh Jeff – just seeing this now – I very often pictured you throwing Mel a treat and saying this is from shamrock, or lainey or any one of us and Mel just gobbling it up – I am so very sorry for your loss, but you did the most compassionate thing for Mel and in doing that you showed true love for him – no one could ask more – I think maybe Nancy is there watching out for him, playing with him – as you said he was kind of like our mascot, so it seems only fitting that Nancy and Lynn be the ones to greet him – rest easy, Jeff – Mel is not in any pain, happy and no longer afraid –

*hugs Jeff really hard* – my love to you my friend –

50. Buttercream says:

Very sorry for your loss …. I understand your grief . .. love never dies ..

51. MelTheHound says: